Thursday, September 18, 2008

i fell in to a burnin' wing of fire...


i love seitan--but let me be clear, i'm a seitanist, not a satanist. perhaps if the lord of the underworld were an actual chunk of wheat gluten i might reconsider my respective faith, but i'm pretty sure the devil doesn't even exist. i know, i know--this is a vegan blog, and not a religious blog. so anyway, i'm sure these nuggets reign with an iron fist in the fire of hades.

seitan is super easy to make, but can take some time. that's why it's easier to just buy it pre-packaged at the store. i'm begging you to take the time to make it yourself, because you'll save a ton of money. for the cost of one pre-packaged container of seitan, you can buy a box of vital wheat gluten and make several batches of it. easy part: gluten+water=rubbery dough=seitan. the time consuming part is boiling it in the broth. depending on how you make your broth ( i use bragg's, nutritional yeast, garlic, ms. dash, and poultry seasoning for a chicken flavor) will create the flavor of your fake meat. you have to bring the broth to a boil, add the rubbery dough in chunks, and simmer checking on it every 10 minutes for 50 minutes.

once your seitan is cooked, drain and toss it in a pan with frank's red hot, earth balance, crushed garlic, and some tobasco if you want it hotter. blammo! you got some hot "wings". serve pub style with celery stix and ranch dressing. i'm still looking for a GOOD vegan bleu cheez dressing but haven't found one i like yet. note: if you have a wheat intolerance, i guess you could use tempeh, which you'd have to buy pre-packaged. if you're allergic to soy, i guess you're screwed.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I SO just need to make my own seitan. I think this every time I buy a package at the grocery.

Bianca said...

I love seitan wings, and I always make my own from scratch. I'm too cheap to buy pre-made. Oh, and I don't believe in the devil either. I wouldn't mind, though, starting a cult of seitan though.

We could even make wheat gluten sacrifices!

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

I love that song! And I especially love your version ;o)