Tuesday, July 20, 2010

cookin' up a storm with "american vegan kitchen"

hands down: my favorite cookbook this year is "american vegan kitchen". for. reals. tami really has refined the art of the vegan superpower and can take just about any comfort food dish and ((((pow!)))) make it vegan. i think she owns some sort of magical raygun.

pictured above is gazpacho! i always think of the "lisa the vegetarian" episode of the simpsons when i hear that fancy word. for people without a clue--this is a yummy tomato soup served cold. if you haven't tried it, set your prejudice aside and give it a whirl. if you like salsa, you'll love gazpacho. i served this with some raw zucchini hummus. yes, a hummus made without beans! i kept the skins on because i'm freaky like that.

these should be called sin-a-crunch muffins because they are so hellishly delightfully and crunchilly decadent. yo wait, is crunchilly a word? sure it is. sarah palin told me so. you don't have to butter these at all. the buttery bliss of cinnacrunch is baked into and on top of the muffin.
tofu rancheros. yum. the sauce is good on just about anything, and i can't believe i tried someone else's scramble recipe. it was a nice change of pace. i ate mine with toast because i didn't have any tortillas around.


above are the sweet garlicky ribz, which are pretty labor intensive to make, but soooooo worth it. perfect for our july 4th bbq at home.

i'm gonna try some more of her recipes, i just have been lacking some time. my mission is to fry up some avocado wedges and nosh on some doughnuts.

5 comments:

InALittleMinute said...

those ribz look delicious.. how do you make them?

love your blog!

Anonymous said...

The freakier the better!

Anonymous said...

Wow, the ribs look awesome. I'm guessing they're seitan?

The Voracious Vegan said...

This is SO my favorite cookbook, I hear ya! I got it in the mail yesterday and flipping through it was ridiculous because I wanted to make EVERYTHING. But, of course, the first thing I made was fried avocados. Glorious! The whole cookbook is exactly my style of cooking and my favorite things to eat. I'm so glad I got it!

Monique a.k.a. Mo said...

Wow! I really need this cookbook and now!